Friday, December 24, 2004

On the waterfront


“The waves are alive with the sound of music”.I could hear the orchestra of the waves as they beat upon the beachshore ,a veritable jaltarang as waves of different strengths simulated different octaves and banged on the water, playing a kind of water music not unfamiliar to Handel,as I neared Elliots Beach coastline.Sitting on the waterfront,many thoughts flitted across my mind but mainly I mulled upon the recent CAT results where I came quite close to getting a IIM call.”I couldve been a contender “was what kept going inside my brain.Well, Call ho na ho,I decided,life must go on.



The scene was indescribably beautiful,akin to a picture painted by a can- never-win,there-is-no-hope- pessimist-whos-psychiatrist-does-however-cause-brief-moods-of-optimism-- –a blackish coloured sea,interspersed with small flecks of milky white foam dashing on the sand,a bluish ‘blackground’ and a bright moon often obscured by dark,gloomy clouds.Actually I should say describably beautiful since I’ve described it and perhaps,though my modesty says not to,beautifully described also?Actually,I could wax lyrical about the waning moon but don’t feel in the right mood for it.

So there I was alone near the waters,actually almost alone ,considering almost every other minute there was a bajji/sweet/keychain seller trying to hawk their wares or plagued by beggars who for some reason formed the notion that I was easy prey(though I did nothing to encourage this of course).It seems amazing just when I seemed to really feel the spray on my face,watch the waves beating down and picture myself on a caribbean cruise to the middle of nowhere,there was some irritating guy who brought me outta dreamland(I was asked by 3 different keychain sellers.I mean how come there is such a big demand for these lighted key chains anyway.In case somebody is interested the going rate is Rs.10 for 1).The breeze was very soporific and I nearly dozed off but I was woken up by a soan papdi guy whose radio was playing ‘suhani chandni raaten’.Very apt I thought and decided to make a move back home.

A rather stale CAT joke to end.

Why do I envy a scarab beetle?

Because it’s got 6 kaals.

No comments: